Notice to Property Owners* in
Unincorporated Santa Teresa, New Mexico
January, 2015 Update:
At this time Sunland Park has adopted a policy of annexing any territory it feels is in their best interest.
December 7, 2014 Update:
At this time Sunland Park is still exploring the Annexation of Santa Teresa.
September 12, 2014:
On August 19, 2014 the Sunland Park City Council Board Meeting included an item introduced by Councilor Ken Giove proposing the annexation of Santa Teresa by the city of Sunland Park. Some key points are:
- Sunland Park proposed annexing Santa Teresa, resulting in an increase of Santa Teresa property taxes of approximately 20%.
- Sunland Park admitted they would not be able to assist in street repairs in Santa Teresa at any time.
- Sunland Park admitted they would not be able to assist with street lights.
- Sunland Park already has issues with non-functioning lights and streets in poor repair.
- It is unrealistic to expect improvements for the residents of the Santa Teresa area.
On September 9, 2014 a group of concerned Santa Teresa residents met to discuss the possible annexation of Santa Teresa by Sunland Park. Two members of the group had polled over 300 Santa Teresa property owners in the time since the Sunland Park board meeting. All but two people polled were opposed to the annexation. The sample polled represents approximately 10% of the adult population of Santa Teresa.
The city of Sunland Park has attempted to annex Santa Teresa in the past. Sunland Park sees Santa Teresa as a major source of income to their community, without providing benefits to Santa Teresa.
The group of concerned Santa Teresa residents discussed how to stop annexation. Santa Teresa is a census district. It has not been incorporated. The group determined the most effective way to stop annexation attempts currently and in the future is to incorporate Santa Teresa into a municipality. Initial steps towards incorporation have been taken. The governor’s office and the county have been contacted.
What this means to you:
- You may be asked to sign a petition stating you do not support annexation of Santa Teresa by Sunland Park.
- You may be asked to sign a petition stating you do support the creation of an incorporated entity, Santa Teresa, New Mexico.
- Your property taxes will go up at some point in the future.
- This is your opportunity to decide if you want your money to go to Sunland Park, to be spent by the Sunland Park City Council, or if you want your money to go to a new city government for Santa Teresa, to be developed and controlled by residents of Santa Teresa.
Incorporation is a lengthy process. Updates will be posted on this website as needed.
If you would like to get involved then call us at: 915-526-1787
Santa Teresa City Council (Unincorporated)
*This notice is addressed to property owners only due to state laws accepting only property owner signatures on petitions regarding annexation and regarding incorporation.
City of Santa Teresa - Limited Government; Local Control
Santa Teresa, NM 88008-1362
2014 All Rights Reserved.
Stay informed via email: email@example.com
Follow us on Twitter at: Save@SantaTeresaNM